UNOPS S3i Innovation Center Sweden recently announced its nine winners of the Global Challenge for startups. The challenge began in early 2022, with over a hundred applications reviewed from over 25 countries. The program will focus on what the UN can bring to the global innovation ecosystem for a year.
This year, in collaboration with the city of Malmö, the UNOPS S3i Innovation Centre was looking for startups with unique ideas and solutions focused on addressing UN Sustainable Development Goal 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities.
“It is fantastic to see the breadth of the applications – both in terms of content and in terms of geographical spread. We are extra pleased to have reached so many women entrepreneurs,”.Jonas Michanek, center manager at UNOPS S3i Innovation Center Sweden says:
The nine companies, from four different continents, for the Swedish innovation program with UNPOS in 2022 are:
- Ablemind – digital solution for mental health (Sweden)
- Elonroad – charging of electric vehicles (Sweden)
- Ecoplus – environmentally friendly packaging (Congo)
- EQUO – environmentally friendly packaging (Vietnam
- Nodon – AI solution for more sustainable construction industry (Sweden)
- Peafowl Solar Power – nanotech transparent solar cells (Sweden)
- PlasticFri – environmentally friendly packaging (Sweden)
- Terra Firma Rainwater Collective – Rainwater Harvesting Solutions (USA)
- Wondertree – learning computer games for children with functional variation (Pakistan)
With the presence of 80 countries, UNOPS works with building infrastructure, creating housing in developing countries, and crisis management. UNOPS S3i Innovation Centre in Sweden, the global challenge will also focus on solutions and technologies that will help minimize cities environmental impact, build a community that is resilient to climate change, and accelerate gender equality by improving the role of women in the city.